Halo Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo Revolution

Join The Revolution

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Multiplayer Estimates

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

Multiplayer Estimates Empty
PostSubject: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Me and a bunch of guys saw this game, downloaded it and loved it. We want to set up some big network matches on forge maps but obviously we need to wait for a more up to date version any estimates guys?

I am a programmer and I know what things are like so no huge rush but... Wink

EDIT: The sooner you get a decent multilayer up the sooner I will think about donating or offering free quality hosting (if your interested)
Back to top Go down
hotshotscott
Halo Revolution Leader
hotshotscott

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 3:37 am

Glad to here you love the game!! Like you saw, the game is still in it's early stages, but thankfully, the engine is well on it's way. The engine is now good enough to begin on campaign, so we've started on that. FORGE is also added, but online multiplayer has not yet been started. We will need some help with that at a later stage though. So please keep in contact with us, maybe after a few more updates this game will be on the road to some great online matches!

Thanks,

Scotty
Back to top Go down
http://halo-revolution.niceboard.net/index.htm
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 am

Out of sheer curiosity what is this written in, and I have probably 10-15 suggestions that would greatly improve your forge, where should I post them?
Back to top Go down
hotshotscott
Halo Revolution Leader
hotshotscott

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:45 am

It's written in Game Maker.

Scotty
Back to top Go down
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:46 am

Hah that comes as a surprise to me, I actually know how to use game maker, I assumed it was written in C++ or something, visual basic using Direct X8

However great job on the project using game maker, that might be why I have optimization issues.
Back to top Go down
hotshotscott
Halo Revolution Leader
hotshotscott

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Quote :
Hah that comes as a surprise to me, I actually know how to use game maker, I assumed it was written in C++ or something, visual basic using Direct X8

However great job on the project using game maker, that might be why I have optimization issues.
Smile I'll take that as a complement, since you thought it was too good to be made in game maker. And do you mean that could be why it lags? I've been working really hard to get most of the lag out of the next version, and i've made a setting that you can have as HIGH, LOW or OFF, and certain particle effects happen with certain settings etc.

Scotty
Back to top Go down
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Game maker is built as an engine for the creation of games right? so it is not working at full proformance just to support the needs of your game, which means yes, it is lagging because of game maker if you wrote it from source in just about any other language it wouldn't lag at all, I made a ORPG and I can have 3000 particles at once with no lag in a Visual Basic Direct X7 Engine, however it does look too good for game maker.

~Spainion
Back to top Go down
mike0281
Recruit
mike0281

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Hey, game maker is a great program for people looking for easier but more limited game production.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mike0281/index.htm
hotshotscott
Halo Revolution Leader
hotshotscott

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 am

Game Maker is also very fast and easy to use, where other languages take longer to program/make am i correct? I have never EVER tried program in anything other then game maker, i probably should though because yes, game maker is just a program written in another language to makes games etc.

Scotty
Back to top Go down
Rexhunter99
Spartan Officer
Rexhunter99

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 4:38 am

Scott, as a warning:

DO NOT JUMP INTO THE OCEAN OF C++ OR C!!!

I did and its a terrible thing to do, due to the lack of dummy tutorials and the complexity of the actual coding itself.

Also GameMaker can do almost anything that many other languages can, only slower unless a DLL is used.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trescom.org
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:27 am

Scott is right, it is much harder to program in other languages other then Engine's, using Game maker is not considered programming as far as I know its considered scripting.

Writing in a different language from scratch however; Is harder but way way faster no matter how you look at it.

Quote :
Also GameMaker can do almost anything that many other languages can, only slower unless a DLL is used.

That is an incorrect statement, game maker is a program written in C or C++ with the limitations of that program, the more you add, the slower it gets.

However it you wrote the game in C++ it would never lag and probably reach 1000 FPS uncapped.

~Spainion
Back to top Go down
hotshotscott
Halo Revolution Leader
hotshotscott

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 5:27 am

Well there's no point me doing this game in C++ or something, because i have no idea whatsoever on C++ or C or any other language then game maker. And i've built this games engine so much with game maker, and so it would just be a waste of time learning C++ and then redoing the game in it. Although it would be much faster, it's not going to happen. There is no reason why Halo Revolution can't always run with a high fps. Other games seem to be able to do it, there's just a few things that i did when i first started this project that need to be reprogrammed with a better and cleaner way, and hopefully things should be running smoothly. I get a very strong FPS of 30 (Max) when i play, and with about 6-8 explosions in the screen it drops to around 25 or so, but it's not 'un-playable', and it goes back up to 30 very quickly.

Scotty
Back to top Go down
Rexhunter99
Spartan Officer
Rexhunter99

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 pm

true.

BTW C++ code:

int ammoclip=60;
int ammcurrent=35;

GM code equivilent:

ammoclip=60
ammcurrent=35
Back to top Go down
http://www.trescom.org
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Rexhunter99 wrote:
true.

BTW C++ code:

int ammoclip=60;
int ammcurrent=35;

GM code equivilent:

ammoclip=60
ammcurrent=35

Declaring variables, something that is similar amongst all languages.

Visual Basic:
Public ammoclip As Byte

Sub FireBitch(ByVal Gun As Byte)
Ammoclip = Ammoclip - 1
End Sub

Now show me a GM Particle system, C++ Particle system and a Visual Basic?
Different...? ohh yes.
And just because it looks the same doesn't mean it works the same, some languages are better at math then others some are better at their own things.

But yeah I understand you guys aren't going to re-write this in C++ that would be a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
hotshotscott
Halo Revolution Leader
hotshotscott

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 12:29 am

Ok guys i think this topic is over. We will not be rewriting in another language, although we understand that other languages would increase the performance, it would take far too long. Thankyou.

Scotty
Back to top Go down
Spainion
Recruit
Spainion

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 7:05 am

Aye, Aye Scotty

Still a great game, I'll defiantly stick around till its completed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiplayer Estimates   Multiplayer Estimates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Multiplayer Estimates
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Halo Revolution :: General :: General Talk-
Jump to: